Saturday, February 23, 2013

Have no fear...

(I am finally posting my blogs... I wrote them while in Haiti, but we had little, if any, internet service...)

Day 1: I did actually sleep some last night - even my excitement about leaving today finally gave way for me to get some needed rest. Jason & Michael arrived at 4:15 AM to pick me up & we were off to the airport. I had to confess to the guys that I do not make the best traveling companion as "issues" tend to follow me. I seem to be the one who always has problems at ticketing, who is singled out for additional screening... & this time was no exception. Since this ALWAYS happens, my kids tease me that TSA has labeled me as a "Mexican terrorist". (Seriously? Could I look LESS dangerous???) Anyway - once the ticketing problems were fixed we arrived at the gate (where by the way, TSA rechecked my carry-on bag!) & boarded the plane. The flight wasn't crowded & was quiet (it's 6am!) - I am journaling while Jason & Michael catch a little nap.

In Miami, we change planes to take us into Port au Prince, Haiti. This flight is packed- mainly with others going to do missionary work. We taxi away from the gate & then we stop... for 1 1/2 hrs... with periodic updates as to the "mechanical issue" they were experiencing. It was finally decided that this couldn't be resolved & we would have to get off this plane (don't gotta tell ME twice!) & wait for another to take us to Miami & then on to Haiti. (We were keeping our loved ones updated via text & Facebook... Jason's wife, Lauren, sent out a prayer request to the church for travel mercies - which we DID receive!) Our 10:15 flight FINALLY leaves for Haiti around 2pm. On this leg of the trip, we are starting to get excited... We spend the flight talking, planning & working the Sudoku & crossword puzzles from the in-flight magazine. (The 3 of us seem to be a kind of competitive bunch!)

We FINALLY arrive in Haiti, where we are met by our driver, Dou Dou. (He is the personal driver for one of the ESMI pastors. Michael has been driven around by him on some of his prior trips here). Dou Dou is an imposing figure due to his size, but he is a teddy bear... a deeply Christian man who not only drove us around Haiti, but protected us & prayed with us throughout our journey... and then proceeded to drive at 130 km/hr as he expertly navigated us through Haiti's outrageous traffic and dusty, rutted roads. (Imagine Mexico City drivers in LA traffic with NY "honkers" & Hong Kong pedestrians - & now multiply that by 10!) So many times, I just KNEW we were going to hit someone (or be hit), but Dou Dou is a beast behind the wheel! Several times Michael leaned over to whisper to me, "have no fear" - reminding me that we were in God's very capable hands!
Michael, Laura, Dou Dou & Jason

After about 4 hours of travel, we finally arrived in Les Cayes (safe & sound). We were pleasantly surprised that a meal had been prepared (unexpectedly) for us. We were served fish, rice & beans, a spicy slaw concoction they called "pikliz" & fried plantains. At each place setting was a bottled (sugar cane sweetened) Coke. (Jason & Michael laughed because they knew I'd given up sodas for Lent... But my sweet pastor assured me that our gracious God would forgive me... I didn't want to offend our hosts & frankly the water is sometimes dangerous to drink - so I "suffered" through!). ;)

After dinner we checked in with those back home (the guesthouse has WiFi!) & then went up on top of the roof for a time of worship & devotion. The moon & stars were so bright! There was a cool, quiet breeze. Michael led us in a couple of songs... We were just 3 people singing in the moonlight "Holy Spirit you are welcome here, come flood this place & fill the atmosphere..." - you could FEEL God there with us. Michael led us in a devotion & prayer time & we concluded with a "bead ceremony". Michael explained that on his prior trips, they take turns giving out colored beads to each other (blue for leadership, red for risk taking, green for compassion & white for service) as a way of reflecting on the day & affirming each other. (This rooftop time is soon going to become one of my favorite parts of our days!)
Michael leading us onto the roof...


...for our rooftop worship & devotion time.


Now, it's off to bed - our travels tomorrow will take us to Big House, Darivage & Cambry orphanages with Pastor Louis. I am eager to see Haiti by daylight & all her magnificent glory!

Bonnuit!

Renmen ak benediksyon!
~Laura








No comments:

Post a Comment