Sunday, February 10, 2013

& so it starts...

For many months now, I've felt God's pulling on my heart toward service in Haiti... I sort of ignored Him for awhile... I mean, really - ME? I'm not really your "foreign missions" kind of gal... Certainly not in a scary place OUTSIDE of our (safe, clean, protected) country! I felt like Moses in Exodus 4:10-13, "No, Lord, don't send me... Please send someone else...". But He kept continually, quietly calling my name. (He does that when you ignore Him...)

And then one day I heard the song, "I Refuse" by Josh Wilson...


Sometimes I, I just want to close my eyes
And act like everyone's alright 
When I know they're not
This world needs God, but it's easier to stand and watch
I could pray a prayer and just move on
Like nothing's wrong
But I Refuse

I can hear the least of these, crying out so desperately
And I know we are the hands and feet of You, oh God
So if You say move, it's time for me to follow through
And do what I was made to do
And show them who You are

I refuse to stand and watch the weary and lost cry out for help
I refuse to turn my back and try and act like all is well
I refuse to stay unchanged, to wait another day to die to myself
I refuse to make one more excuse

I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
I could choose not to move
But I refuse

Ouch! So, I took a deep breath & admitted to Jason (my pastor) that I thought I was being called to mission work in Haiti. Of course, many of you know what a "tasmanian devil" Jason is ;) He just took that information & RAN WITH IT! Before I knew it (or could catch my breath) we had scheduled a recon trip to Haiti to see what Covenant UMC could offer El Shaddai Ministries.

So, a few planning meetings are now under my belt... I've gotten 3 immunizations & anti-malaria medication for the trip... And on Feb. 19th - at 6am - Michael (our church worship leader, who has been to Haiti 4 times now), Jason & I will board a plane to Port au Prince, Haiti. 

I am now quite excited about this journey God has me on (but admittedly, still a bit apprehensive...) I know He has great things in store not just for the people of Haiti that we will be serving / helping, but for ME as well. I covet your prayers as we travel & I look forward to coming home to you & sharing our experiences!

Renmen ak benediksyon! (Love and blessings!)
~Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment